So I know I have been talking a lot about all my amazing trips and places around Spain that I have visited. But, contrary to opinion I am actually here to study. Therefore, I figured I should blog about some of my education here which might be a bit boring.
Back to the classes I'm taking: Spanish Grammar, History of Spain, Spanish Lit, and People and Cultures of Spain.
Although I miss Marquette, I hate to admit that I think I like these professors more than most I have had in my college career so far (besides Gee of course). They are all so open, animated, passionate, relaxed, and most importantly they all have a sense of humor. It's nice because on Monday and Tuesday I don't have class until 4 in the afternoon and then we never have class on Wednesday but on Thursday and Friday I have a packed day class from 8 a.m. until 2:30 with an hour break in between. The classes are on average around 20 people, and there are Marquette people in each class I have which is nice- but I'm looking forward to meeting more new amigos too! So far my favorite class is our Spanish Lit class- our teacher is so interesting, and I'm already learning a lot even though I have already taken a Spanish Lit class previously. Oh and Lamia and I are already having a ton of fun with our new friend ;)
And not ever having class on Wednesdays has it's positives :) For example, this Wednesday a bunch of us went up to El Escorial and visited the town, and the palace where the Royal familia used to reside. Now they have turned part of it into a museum, and opened the pantheon of the royals up to the public. Today, it also functions as a monastery. I have to say that walking around inside was very interesting- but somber. It was quiet and a bit spooky since there were just crypts... like everywhere. But outside! Outside was so beautiful- the gardens were so extensive and beautiful even in the winter time and the view of the city below and the mountains surrounding was unbelievable. The air was so fresh, and we went on such a clear day that there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was only about an hour away, so we just turned it into a fun short day trip. I'm thinking that we will be able to do a lot of day trips on Wednesdays which will be good to get a lot of my places in Spain that I want to visit out of the way.
creepy crypts
let's go outside!
what a beautiful day we had
El Escorial- straight royalty.
Another funny and random story I have is of course, about Gloria my house mom. On Monday she asked what Elise and I were doing on Tuesday night and if we had plans, since we were both waking up early we both said that we didn’t have any plans and she was excited because she said she wanted to watch this new TV program with us. Then she proceeded to tell us how her grandson is an actor and is a character in this new program coming on Tuesday night. So of course we decided to watch it.
Then we discovered that this show is super popular and advertised everywhere in Spain- on the Metro- in the newspapers. So, Pablo (Gloria’s grandson) is pretty much famoso! For those of you who know me pretty well, I don’t really follow any TV programs on a regular basis, but I became very addicted very quickly to this show. I am so embarrassed to say the title- but it actually isn’t bad Spanish television. It’s called Angeles o Demonios? (Angels or Demons). Basically this show is about the fight between good and evil, and there is a main character which is a girl is caught in the middle. Well the main character’s brother is who else but... PABLO! Therefore because of the transitive property, I feel famous! Gloria said that sometime he is going to come over and watch it with us. Should I ask the 13 year-old for his signatura? Ha! Needless to say I think I will be watching this programma every Tuesday evening. Stay tuned.
Another story I forgot to mention is that last week Gloria taught me how to make Tortilla Espanola which is a traditional Spanish dish- people eat it for lunch, dinner, and breakfast and it's super yummy. I will definitely be cooking this when I get back to Milwaukee. Oh, and I asked Gloria if she wanted to do something for El dia de San Valentin (Valentines Day) because I figured us three girls should do something with our single lives. So, I am going to secretly bake a little cake and bring home flowers for my dear mama! I usually hate Valentine's day but I just love her so much I figured I should celebrate :)
Also, today I made my list for everywhere I want to go while I'm here in Europe and needless to say, my list is extremely extensive. Maybe impossible to accomplish, so it looks like I'll just have to come back someday in the future :) Anyone want to come with? As of tomorrow, I will have been here for one month- which means only 4 more left! So much to get in and see before I leave.
And! Abi is coming to Madrid this weekend, and I am so excited to visit with her and meet her friends and go out and about the city! It should be a fun weekend and am looking forward to our walking tour that is finally happening this Sunday- which means thankfully for you-more photos to accompany the next post and less of my ramblings. Oh and I'm sure you all were sick of hearing the same annoying music everytime you came to visit my blog, so I took it off. Feel free to DJ your own music while reading my blog! What would your song of choice be? If my blog were a song, what would it be? Hahaha.
I miss you all, and think of you often. Thank you for being such amazing family and friends- I am beyond blessed. God is good!
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." -Psalms 32:8
-Thanks for the inspiration Carrie!
and
my personal favorite of the week:
"do nothing from selfishness of empty conceit but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself." -phillippians 2:3
No comments:
Post a Comment